Flank Steak with Tomato Marmalade & Watercress
This entree can be served hot or at room temperature, or even lightly chilled. A lively, lightly-dressed salad of potatoes, green beans, and red onion is the perfect accompaniment.
1 pound well-trimmed beef flank steak
1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, halved, some seeds removed
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
3/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup raisins
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons chicken broth or water
1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds (optional)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 medium tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley, preferably flat-leaf
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large bunch of watercress, tough stems removed
1. Score flank steak on both sides with three or four 1/4"-deep diagonal slashes.
2. In food processor, place chopped yellow onion, garlic, jalapeno, ginger, soy sauce and honey, and process until pureed. Rub mixture onto both sides of flank steak, pressing it into slashes. Place steak on a plate, cover and marinate at least 30 minutes, and up to 8 hours.
3. Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, combine red onion, raisins, vinegar, sugar, chicken broth, mustard seeds (if using) and black pepper, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until onion is very tender and raisins softened, about 15 minutes.
4. Remove raisin mixture from heat and stir in tomatoes, parsley and salt. Cover marmalade mixture and let stand while you preheat broiler.
5. Preheat broiler and broiler pan. Place steak on preheated broiler pan and spread with half the marmalade mixture. Broil 4" to 5" from heat for 6 minutes. Turn steak, spread with remaining marmalade mixture, and broil for 6 minutes, or until medium-rare.
6. Spread watercress on a platter and place steak on watercress. Let stand for 5 minutes (this will wilt the watercress slightly and make the beef juicier). Carve beef on an angle into thin slices and serve with marmalade and watercress.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 308 calories, 9.7g total fat (3.9g saturated), 59mg cholesterol, 3.1g dietary fiber, 30g carbohydrate, 27g protein, 302mg sodium.