there was no headnote in the JHCL version
2 whole chickens (about 3 pounds each), cut up
8-1/2 cups water
4 cups carrot juice
1 cup low-sodium mixed vegetable juice
2 large onions, unpeeled and halved
2 large carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
1 large leek, white and tender green part, thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
3/4 teaspoon rosemary
3/4 teaspoon thyme
10 sprigs of parsley
2 bay leaves
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Spread chicken in a large roasting pan and roast until browned and crisp, about 30 minutes.
2. With tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a large stockpot. Pour off all fat from roasting pan and pour 1/2 cup of water into pan, scraping up any browned bits clinging to roasting pan. Add these juices to stockpot along with chicken.
3. Add remaining 2 quarts water, carrot juice and mixed vegetable juice, and bring to a boil over high heat, skimming off foam as it rises to surface. Continue skimming until no foam remains.
4. Add onions, carrots, leek, celery, garlic, rosemary, thyme, parsley and bay leaves. Return to a boil, continuing to skim any foam that rises. Reduce heat to low and simmer until broth is rich and flavorful, about 2 hours.
5. Strain the broth and discard solids, Refrigerate and remove fat that solidifies on surface. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
Makes 8 cups servings.
Per 1/2 cup: 56 calories, 2.5g total fat (0.6g saturated), 3mg cholesterol, 0.7g dietary fiber, 7g carbohydrate, 1g protein, 46mg sodium.