Blueberry-Apricot Quick Bread
If you use fresh blueberries in this recipe, check the bread after 50 minutes: Since fresh blueberries are not as wet as frozen, the bread may bake somewhat faster.
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/4 cups milk
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup extra-light olive oil
3 cups frozen blueberries
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 9" x 5" loaf pan.
2. Spread oatmeal in jelly-roll pan and bake 5 to 7 minutes or until light golden brown and fragrant. Cool on a rack.
3. In large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
4. In medium bowl, whisk together milk, sugar, eggs, and oil. Stir in toasted oatmeal and set aside for 3 minutes.
5. Make a well in the dry ingredients and stir in wet ingredients until just combined. Stir in blueberries and apricots.
6. Scrape batter into prepare loaf pan and rap to remove any air pockets. Bake 1 hour and 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool on a rack 20 minutes before turning out of pan to cool completely before slicing.
Makes 12 slices servings.
Per slice: 282 calories, 8.9g total fat (1.8g saturated), 39mg cholesterol, 3.4g dietary fiber, 46g carbohydrate, 6g protein, 326mg sodium.