Black Bean Cakes with Spicy Sweet Potato Sauce
Meaty black beans are the main ingredient of patties that are topped with a pureed sweet-potato sauce seasoned with cayenne and fresh lime juice. Serve with a simply dressed salad of mixed greens.
1 small sweet potato (6 ounces), peeled and thinly sliced
1 can (19 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 red bell pepper, minced
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1-1/4 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 large egg white
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup spicy tomato-vegetable juice
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. In a steamer, cook the sweet potato until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mash the beans with a potato masher or fork. Stir in the bell pepper, scallions, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, the cumin, and red pepper flakes. Blend in the egg white.
3. Form the bean mixture into 4 large patties. On a sheet of wax paper, combine the flour and cornmeal. Coat the patties with this mixture and place on a nonstick baking sheet. Brush the patties with oil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until heated through and crisped. Transfer the patties to 4 serving plates.
4. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the sweet potato, the remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, and the tomato-vegetable juice. Process to a smooth puree. Transfer the sauce to a small skillet and warm over low heat.
5. Stir the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro into the sauce and spoon over the patties. Serve topped with the yogurt.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 269 calories, 4.3g total fat (0.6g saturated), 0mg cholesterol, 9g dietary fiber, 47g carbohydrate, 12g protein, 307mg sodium.